Thursday 4 November 2010

my next post... finally.

Hi all
I was reminded the other day that I haven't blogged in a long time and I thought it would be a good idea to get back on.
I hope everyone is ok, I'm well into cliff life now for the second year having a great time but struggling to balance work and organise my time correctly. Prayer would be nice because it's a new thing for me but I'm getting there.
I thought I'd share something that's on my heart which is about the influence the media has over us. I'm reminded of John Bunyan's portrayal of Christian walking through vanity fair. As he walked through the fair with his friend he was bombarded with advertisements and people trying to entice them to buy their products as they will help bring fulfillment to life and they had to resist this stuff. This is a truth for a culture today, we are constantly being bombarded with stuff that tells us we need this product to live life, whether it's money, sex, education, or general stuff. Although this has been around for as long as I can remember, it still doesn't make it any less scary, the fact that people of all ages are giving their lives to products of the world of which 99.9% of them are lies. It's stuff like people thinking going out drinking can solve problems and If you buy this make up you will look 100% better than you would with any other, (9 out of 10 people think so according to the adverts). Something has got to give. How long can we allow people to lie to us and also lie to ourselves that this stuff is the answer? I believe God is hurting over this, that he see's people being drawn in and falling into this stuff and more and more he is being put on the sideline. Im amazed at how many people care so little about God, this is mainly because I care so much, and I believe that he is the only way we can get out of this mess.
This whole rant has led me to think about what Christians need to do about this. do we need to be part of the media to solve the problem? I personally doubt it because I don't think Christianity should necessarily be commercial and become part of the problem. Or does there need to be a new culture, a culture that is ready to find the answers in Christ, in his teaching, in the way he lived his life. Wouldn't it be an interesting Church if it's members were more enticed by the words of the bible than the words of the world? I know I'm challenged by it because I think I'm more guilty than anyone in it.
BTW I hope I haven't offended anyone on my rant, If I have I'm really sorry.
Have a good week
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment